Having an audience for your prose, whether it’s a short story or a novel extract, is a great way to build up a loyal following as well as get a sense of the story you’re telling.
The session of Novel Nights on 25th October is part of Bristol Festival of Literature 2017, making it a really prestigious event on Bristol’s lit scene. There are three slots of five-minutes for writers, and I’m helping to select the stories, so why not submit?
Closing date for submissions is 1st October 2017.
Grace Palmer, the organiser, says: “We want to hear prose which delights, tells a story with skill, hooks a room of people and won’t make them fidget. If you are chosen to read you get free entry to Novel Nights, your name on the programme and publicised on Twitter, Facebook and on this Novel Nights website.”
The audience are a group of friendly writers and readers, so you’re bound to come away with a buzz.
Please submit the following:
- An 800-word extract of your writing; no more than 5-minutes reading time
- Choose a scene from your novel or a short story that will work as a piece to listen to – not too much dialogue but something self-contained that shows off the story and your writing style. Don’t choose a scene with lots of characters in it
- A photos of yourself – please label with your name
- A cover photo of your book or books, if you are published
- Your name (or writing pseudonym), and twitter handle
- Writer Bio – a 30 word version for our programme, a longer version for our information about you, your writing etc
How to send
Send your work and bio in the body of an email to email@example.com
Photos can be sent as an attachment
How we choose
We look for strong, well-crafted writing that will delight and excite an audience.
We choose extracts that fit in with the theme of the night or that fit with each other. If you are not chosen it doesn’t mean we think you are not good enough! These things are subjective.
Find out more at www.novelnights.co.uk/submissions-for-novel-nights.
Got an event, challenge, competition or call for submissions you’d like to draw my attention to? Send me an email at Judy(at)socket creative(dot)com.